Leave site

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is defined as any behaviour causing harassment, alarm or distress. Persistent anti-social behaviour can damage or seriously affect another person’s quality of life. Community triggers will make it easier for victims and communities to get this behaviour stopped

 Anti-social behaviour is a very wide term given to describe the day-to-day incidents such as nuisance, damage to property, public drunkenness, aggressive dogs, noisy or abusive neighbours or parking issues. Such inconsiderate and distressing behaviour places an enormous amount of stress and anxiety on many victims and their families. Such a wide range of behaviours means that responsibility for dealing with anti-social behaviour is shared between a number of agencies, particularly the councils, social landlords and Police. By working together agencies with legal responsibility to act cannot only help stop the behaviour but assist in prevent it recurring. So where can you go for help?

Below are some of the types of incidents the police and other agencies deal with:

Your local council and Registered Social Landlords will deal with:

If you are being affected by any of the anti-social behaviour above and feel there is an immediate risk to your safety or that of another please call 999 straight away.

If this is a continual issue and there is no immediate risk to anyone please call 101 or visit your local police station.

How to report anti-social behaviour:

Don’t turn a blind eye to anti-social behaviour. If you see it, report it. You can report anti-social behaviour by calling Gwent Police on 101 or your local Council or Registered Social Landlord. In the case of an emergency, where life is at risk or a crime is being committed, always dial 999.

If neither of the above organisations are able to assist with your complaint please contact  Connect Gwent by use of the self-referral form found on this website. The Connect Gwent team will give you advice on which local agency can help and how to contact them. We work very closely with our partners to deal with anti-social behaviour, including all local authorities and Registered Social Landlords.

No matter how you report anti-social behaviour to us, your complaints will be treated confidentially. So you don’t have to worry about your identity being revealed.

So what happens next?

We understand that anti-social behaviour has a considerable impact on people’s lives. When you report anti- social behaviour to Connect Gwent we will:

Community Resolution

 What is it?

Community Resolution is an alternative way of dealing with less serious crimes, allowing officers to use their professional judgement when dealing with offenders. It can be used for offences such as low level public order, anti-social behaviour, criminal damage, theft, and minor assaults.

Community Resolution enables victims to have quick resolutions and closure to their crime whilst providing offenders with swift justice and reducing bureaucracy for police officers. .

When is Community Resolution used?

Community Resolution resolves a minor offence or anti-social behaviour incident through agreement between the parties involved, as opposed to progression through the traditional criminal justice process.  It is usually aimed at first-time offenders where they have admitted guilt and the victim is happy for the offender to be dealt with in this manner.

Community Resolution allows police officers to make decisions about how to deal more proportionately with low-level crime.

Officers use their professional judgement to assess an offence, taking into account the wishes of the victim and the offender’s history, in order to reach an outcome which best meets the needs of the victim and of the public.

What will the resolution involve?

The type of Resolution will vary from incident to incident, however this can include:

The Community Resolution must be proportionate to the offence. In the majority of cases, the crime will be resolved in line with the victim’s wishes, ensuring that they are at the centre of the process. However, on occasions this may not be possible and the police officer will have the final decision as to the most appropriate means of Resolution.

What happens if the offender doesn’t complete the Resolution?

If the offender doesn’t complete the Resolution, then they will be dealt with via the criminal justice process for the original offence.

What is a Community Trigger?

Community Trigger gives victims and communities the right to request a review of their case and bring agencies together to take a joined up, problem-solving approach to find a solution to anti-social behaviour.

From October 20th 2014, Police Officers in Gwent will be able to enforce the new Community Remedy resolution which is designed to give victims of low-level crime and anti-social behaviour (ASB) more of a say in the punishment of their offender. This bulletin highlights how the Community Remedy can be implemented and used to full effect by frontline officers here in Gwent.  

What is the Community Remedy?

Implemented by the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Gwent, Ian Johnston, the Community Remedy is intended to give victims more of a say in the punishment of offenders out of court. It provides a list of the out-of-court punishment options which can be presented to a victim by a Police Officer so they can choose how an offender can be dealt with when they commit low level a minor crime or anti-social behaviour.

More information about the Community Trigger/remedy and resolution can be viewed here: https://www.gwent.police.uk  victims of crime